Monday, January 14, 2008

Jumping Hurdles

One of the biggest hurdles during this pregnancy that I was worried about has been jumped. I often worried and agonized over how I would tell MY employers that "we were expecting". I am a nurse and work in a very catholic hospital. My employers did not know of my personal life and I did not volunteer. I always thought to myself that my personal life was mine and while I was at work I was completely professional in my role as a nurse. I didn't want to shade any of my coworkers thoughts about me being a gay individual.

I often thought or wondered how I would eventually tell them if we actually did get pregnant. When we did - my worries tripled. How do I tell them?? Do I tell them I'll need some time off in May for a family event? It seemed to me to be very overwhelming to have to come out to my employers and then say "Oh, by the way, we are expecting and the baby's due in May."

I would look for opportunities to tell them. The perfect time. But it never really happened. Vicky would ask if I had told any one at work yet. No, not yet. But time is getting critical. Our schedules are made at 6 week intervals and I know in my heart that I need to reserve some space so they can plan not to schedule me for at least two weeks. But how do you tell them - I need some time off but I not quite sure when.

So, last week, the opportunity presented itself. I was getting more getting more eager to tell them about my news but I couldn't ever find the time because for the last 5 weeks I had been training another nurse on the floor. She was always there. My shadow. I finally broke away from her and was talking to the Specialty Coordinator about the schedule and how she needed some help on the night shift. For once, there were no interruptions. I thought to myself - Well, here I go!

So I told J - I've got some news. J asks what it was. I told her I would need some time off in May but I wasn't quite sure of the date yet. She promptly flips to her May schedule and then asks how long I need. I tell her a couple of weeks. She asks what is happening in May. I tell her, "My partner and I are having a baby and we are due in May." From nowhere comes this excitement from J. She is so excited about the news. I am floored. I thought I would receive shock and disbelief but no once again in my life of coming out - Total acceptance. I was relieved.

****

Vicky is doing great. The baby has decided she loves strawberry po.ptarts and doesn't like pasta any more. She is very active. We have another doctor's appointment on Wednesday and should schedule the dreaded glucose tolerance test when we go. Vicky thinks she has gained at least five pounds since her last weigh in - so we'll see. The belly button keeps threatening to pop out too.

Until next time...

6 comments:

R said...

That is wonderful!! It's so nice to have some understanding sometimes from our employers. congrats to you for having that :)

Michelle said...

That is such great news and what a wonderful feeling you must have felt when J accepted you and even was excitied for you! Im so glad that it went well!

twondra said...

Awww, I'm so glad J was so happy. I bet that was a huge relief! Glad things are going well!!

RainbowMomma said...

What an AWESOME reaction! We always woorry more than we need to. I'm so happy for you that this went so well. Whew!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey girls, I just checked my blog for the first time this week. I am way behind. I would love to do your announcements. I would need to know what kind of things you like and how many you need and. . . you are having a girl?? Is that right??
We can work through the details. Email me if you want. amylscott@sbcglobal.net

RainbowMomma said...

I just want to let you know that I tagged you. Details on my blog.