Thursday, November 1, 2007

12 weeks

Let the pre-nesting begin.

In pregnancy, the pregnant mother goes through a phase of "nesting". The books and everyone tells you that this usually happends within the third trimester. The pregnant mother has a surge of energy and begins to build the nest for the baby bird that is soon to come. This is just a natural process that occurs.

The books left out a section. Pre-nesting. In order for the pregnant mother to be able to "nest" - the unpregnant mother (that's me) has to pre-nest the roost. That essentially means, the unpregnant one gets to clean out all of the stuff in the third bedroom that is being used as a storage room so that is can magically be transformed into a haven of babymania!!!

The baby's room is usually used as the "catch-all" room. If we can't find a place for it to go - it goes in this room. In this room you can find anything you can possibly imagine from a complete computer workstation, stereo, bed for Katie (Vicky's sister), bookshelves with all of different kinds of books, movies, music, music and more music. Exercise bike (that's where that went after Christmas!), crafts, school stuff, etc., etc., It just keeps on going. Usually, this room gets cleaned out at least every 4-6 weeks when Grammy (Vicky's mom) and Katie come to visit. We clean it out so Katie can get to her bed. Well, this time it hasn't been cleaned since the end of July when Tyler came home from California. Grammy and Katie had come to visit that weekend so it's usual monthly cleaning. As soon as they leave - stuff gets sucked right back in there. I don't know how it happens. It just does.

I have been mentally trying to prepare myself that this room is going to need to be overhauled for the baby. And at this point - time is not standing still. Well on Tuesday night, Vicky added some fuel to my mental schedule. She lets me know that Grammy and Katie are coming for the weekend. OK. That means I have to get a move on and start cleaning out the room so Katie can at least walk to the bed. So, I have been pre-nesting the baby's room today. Going through stuff that we haven't seen in at least two months, trying to decide if we need to keep it or throw it away. Moving and storing things in the proper location. Singing at the top of my lungs with various artists!!

I sat there today in the middle of the floor thinking of where the furniture would go when we got it. Thinking that we still had to move out all of the other furniture that was in there after Grammy and Katie's visit. But when do you actually start the transformation? When do you stop saying it's Katie's room for when she comes to visit and start saying it's the baby's room? Where is Katie going to sleep? Oh my gosh, we are really having a baby!!!

3 comments:

twondra said...

You're so cute! It'll be fun transforming it! I've called our room the baby's room....and I'm not even pregnant. :) It's hopeful thinking.

Career.Nanny said...

It's so exciting! You gals have so much transformation happening - I'm so jealous! The blankets, the clothes, toys, music, books - but best of all the smells (although I'm sure Vicky is less appreciative of smells, but later - it is so great!) those wonderful baby smells. The smell of them, their soap, their toys, laundry, milk (breast or formula it becomes part of their smells), breathe, hair, your smell as you welcome this new person into your family and everything smells just a little different. Oh. Nesting, growing smelling, it's so nice.

I'm so happy for ALL of you!

RainbowMomma said...

We have always had one of those rooms. We tend to refer to it as the "attic." Right now, we only have the garage. We wanted to use it as a room, but unfortunately, the "attic" keeps creeping in. I think it's definitely time that you can start referring to it as the "baby's room." Good luck with finding places for everything!