Sunday, November 11, 2007

13 Weeks down - 26 Weeks to Go...

Pregnancy. Cardiac Arrhythmias. Secret Sororities. Homecoming. Save the Cheerleader! Save the world! These are just some of the things we have been up to this week.

Vicky is doing well. Her belly seems to be expanding nicely. She only has one or two more pair of "Big Girl" jeans that she can fit into - otherwise she is dressed in nice elastic or drawstring pants/scrubs. Still trying to pin her down for another belly shot. She always gets in the bed before I can take it! Vomiting and nausea is steadily decreasing but is still present on a daily basis. The butter bean is loving hot roast beef sandwiches right now. She not having any real cravings but I did have to stop at Wally World to pick up a package of Vienn.a Fin.ger cookies for the butter bean.

The visit from Grammy and Katie went well. I finally got "the room" cleaned out so that it is livable again. Katie was very appreciative. Vicky's Mom was the first person that we told of the pregnancy. Vicky's mom told her that she would have to tell Katie for herself. Hmmm.... How to tell Katie. A little background information. Vicky is the middle child of three girls. Beth (the oldest) lives in Florida with her family. Katie (the youngest) is autistic. She is high functioning and lives in a group home close to Vicky's mom. She is functioning at the level of a 12-13 year old. So Vicky is concerned that Katie will ask HOW she got pregnant. So what does she do??? Tells me that I get to tell Katie!! LOL!!! Her rationale - "You're a nurse. So if she has any questions you can answer them." Great!! (grin) There's no telling how Katie will process this information!

So here I go: (setting - we are at dinner in a nice restaurant with all in attendance including Tyler)

Tyler (to Vicky): Does she know?
Vicky: No.
All eyes turn to me. Except for Katie - who is oblivious of the conversational undertones and is much more interested in eating all of the garlic bread and double dipping before any one else can have any.
Me: So Katie.... Vicky's got some news.
Katie glazes over her glasses towards Vicky like she has done something bad.
Me: Well, you know William (Beth's son) is going to have a cousin soon.
Katie: What do you mean?
Me: Vicky is going to have a baby.
Katie: No she's not!!!
Me: Yes - she is.
She looks at Vicky then her Mom then me then Vicky. Tyler is cracking up behind the wine list.
Katie: No you're not.
Vicky: I am. I have pictures on the refrigerator at home.
I am still waiting for the inevitable question of HOW so that I can explain in my best nursing lingo that I impregnated her.
Katie: Whatever. She goes back to the bread and double-dipping. Subject closed as far as Katie is concerned.

So we'll see if she has any questions during Thanksgiving.

I got to spend the most of my week in a classroom brushing up on cardiac arrhythmias. I had a headache all week from staring at little squares and trying to find p waves that were hidden in t waves. Needless to say, there was a test at the end of the course. I studied. I stressed. I got a 100%. Woo Hoo!!! I asked my manager if I get a raise now? Not a chance in he**! Great! So I guess I am back to being an "official" cardiac nurse again. While surfing the net today, I found this little jewel of a video. It's about one of the arrhythmias. The humor of the medical field..... LOL!! And these are future doctors!



OK - So it's Homecoming weekend at the good old "W". So Vicky is off fraternizing with the secret sorority sisters. I don't know what there doing but they are having a good time. It's like the Ya*-Ya sisterhood or something. When they get together and start talking in front of us "outsiders" they use code words and such. So hush-hush! She has a really good group of girls or ladies I should say that she keeps in touch with from college. Everyone I have met has been individually unique. My favorite though has to be the redhead from Virginia! Gotta love her!

Save the cheerleader! Save the World! Yes- we rented and watched the marathon Season 1 of Heroes. Gotta love it! It's one of our new favorites.

So that's about it for us on the homefront. Officially in the Second Trimester.

Until next time....



4 comments:

twondra said...

Yay for being in the second trimester! Woohoo!! That's a funny story about Katie. :) Thanks for sharing!

Kathryn said...

Wow! That video is something else. Wow.
You have been one busy family! Testing, explaining, homecoming and growing! Keep up the good work!!
Day1 for us today, I hope this is our cycle! Prayers, fingers crossed, anything and everything!

twondra said...

Thanks so much for ths support! I appreciate it! Your comment made me feel better and I wanted to say thanks. :) (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Have to say. . LOVE the video!!! I am a neuro nurse and I hated cardiac in school and still suck at the strips!!! I wish I had seen that video a several years ago. I bet I would have done better on those tests!
Glad you are all doing well!! Good to hear!